Monday, November 19, 2012

Onions....

“Motherhood is about raising and celebrating the child you have, not the child you thought you would have. It's about understanding that he is exactly the person he is supposed to be. And that, if you're lucky, he just might be the teacher who turns you into the person you are supposed to be.” 

 Joan Ryan, The Water Giver: The Story of a Mother, a Son, and Their Second Chance


One thing I want to stress. Adoption, especially adoption of older children, means that you are very much adopting a child AND their past. We have seen this with the other children we adopted, and we see this with R and J. Our children are good children, but they are also hurt children. It's an awful lot like peeling an onion. Layers upon layers. Working to see what is behind the behaviors to the child inside. We have no doubt that God can heal their tender hearts, but it will be a long and often painful process. What we covet most, are your prayers as we begin this journey. :)

7 comments:

HollyMarie said...

You have got my prayers friend! I loved your previous post, how you stated that you've set no timelines or expectations for how long this transition will take... spoken like a true native to the land of older child adoption. I often think I would be much better at handling another older child adoption than I was the first time. Only time will tell if I'll have a chance to practice that. Now with B home over 4 years, we are in a good place... man I love that girl and man has she ever blossomed... and you're right, taught ME so many things. But it was a long road and lonely at times. I thank God for you and other adoptive parents that had been there before me. :)

Mamita J said...

Amen.

We will continue to pray for your family and the healing journey you are on.

Lisa Wolfe said...

I am so thrilled to read this update. My daughter (nearly 8 years old, born in Guatemala) and I have prayed for your family for years. We will continue to pray as your family moves through this transition. May God bless you all!

Annie said...

I think I maybe have commented on your blog at some point in my life, but I've checked up on it every once in a blue moon to see if you`d finally been able to adopt your children. I hadn't been on in months, but I was so happy and excited for you to read that your children are FINALLY home! Praise God that your faithfulness and perseverance finally bore fruit. Blessings to your family.

Christie Minich said...

Holding you up in prayer and your precious new ones. :)

lorismusings said...

I have learned that even when you have experience with older child adoption, the next kid surprises you with completely different issues! :-)

I love the quote you included - it is something I really need to remember as we struggle with our son.

I am so glad to hear some updates from you. I have followed your story for so many years I would be devastated not to be able to follow it anymore!

Carey said...

Praying!!

Isaiah 58:7, “Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wander shelter, when you see the naked to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?”